This is an in office only job
The Commercial Real Estate Loan Underwriter must be able to evaluate loan opportunities, including, the real estate collateral securing the proposed loan, the surrounding market and demographic area and the adequacy of the loan structure of the transaction and/or relationship. Duties include the underwriting and analyzation of commercial real estate and bridge loans, spreading of rent rolls, operating statements, borrower financial statements, evaluating borrow/guarantor financial support and management capabilities, and developing rationale for valuation and loan structure. The role will be responsible for all aspects of a proposed loan from the time the borrower executes Letter of Interest through loan closing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Underwrite loan opportunities on commercial real estate properties on a nationwide basis
- Analyze loan files and review supporting documentation for completeness
- Analyze financial statements to determine operating trends and viability of businesses
- Reviews Tax returns and additional credit information to assess borrower/guarantor net worth and potential support
- Prepare detailed analyses of historical property operations to make informed decisions about future performance
- Prepare credit memorandum for presentation to Investment Committee
- Research and investigate applicable industry and market data/trends
- Determine collateral valuation for real estate and business assets securing the loan
- Coordinates and incorporates 3rd party reports into their credit analysis
- Projects loan level cash flows based on potential resolution outcomes
- Present underwriting analysis to investment committee and makes structure recommendations.
- Other Responsibilities may include:
- Work on special projects as assigned
- Assists origination credit officers as needed
- Assists asset managers on relationships as needed
- Interacts with Capital Markets on an as needed basis to support pricing models
- Participates in periodic meetings with Commercial Lending and Senior Management to monitor portfolio trends and specific asset performance
- Work with IT and Application Development on building and supporting underwriting models
- Recruits qualified candidates for credit department
- Demonstrates behaviors which are aligned with the organization’s desired culture and values
The ideal candidate should possess the following skills:
- 5 or more (5+) years’ work experience in CRE
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience as an underwriter underwriting multiple types of commercial real estate loans in a financial institution (or equivalent)
- Experienced in modeling
- Experience in reviewing and analyzing third party reports, including appraisals, environmental, engineering and seismic studies
- Ability to work on multiple transactions simultaneously and work effectively in a collaborative environment
- Strong analytical skills with advanced proficiency in Excel, Word and Power Point
- Strong, clear and concise communication skills including ability to write and orally present workout strategies.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and solve problems independently.
- Desire to contribute in a variety of ways to the overall success of the enterprise.
- Some travel may be required.